DATA CLASSES IN SAP
Step 1: Checking Existing Data Classes
When I needed to create a new data class, the first place I looked was the DDART table. This table lists all active and created data classes in the SAP system. Running a simple query in SQL*Plus gave me visibility into what was already defined:
SQL> select * from SAPSR3.DDART;
SQL> desc SAPSR3.DDART;
The structure showed two key fields:
TABART (VARCHAR2(15), not null) → represents the data class name
DDCLASS (VARCHAR2(9), not null) → represents the category
Step 2: Ensuring Tablespaces Are Known
Before adding anything new, I confirmed that the relevant tablespaces were already recognized by the SAP system. This is critical because each data class must be mapped to a physical memory area (tablespace). If the tablespace isn’t registered, the new data class won’t function properly.
Step 3: Inserting a New Data Class
Using SQL*Plus, I inserted a new entry into DDART to define the data class:
SQL> insert into SAPSR3.DDART (TABART, DDCLASS)
values ('MY_DATA_CLASS', 'CATEGORY');
SQL> commit;
This step effectively registered the new data class in the SAP dictionary.
Step 4: Linking to Tablespaces
Creating the entry alone isn’t enough. The new data class must be connected to the memory area. For this, I updated the TAORA and IAORA tables. These tables define the mapping between data classes and tablespaces.
TAORA → holds assignments for standard tables
IAORA → holds assignments for index tables
I used SQL*Plus again to insert or update the mappings so the new data class pointed to the correct tablespace.
Additional Notes from My Experience
Validation: After committing changes, I always validated by checking if the new data class appeared in DDART and was correctly linked in TAORA/IAORA.
Transport Requests: In real SAP environments, changes to DDART, TAORA, and IAORA should be captured in transport requests to move them safely across DEV → QA → PROD systems.
Consistency: It’s important to ensure that the data class naming convention aligns with SAP standards, otherwise inconsistencies can cause confusion in administration.
Performance Impact: Assigning data classes to the right tablespaces can improve performance, especially in large systems where table distribution across disks matters.
Security: Only DBAs or SAP Basis administrators should perform these changes, since incorrect mappings can lead to data persistence issues.
No comments:
Post a Comment