I ran into a situation where a background job just wouldn’t kick off. At first, I thought maybe it was stuck or misconfigured, but digging into the job status gave me a clearer picture. Depending on what status the job shows, the reasons can be very different.
🔍 What I Saw
Scheduled → If a job is only “Scheduled,” it basically means it doesn’t have a proper start condition. Either it was descheduled or never had one in the first place. In that case, I checked the system log (SM21) around the time the job was created to see if there were errors.
Released → This one’s trickier. A “Released” job looks ready but can still be delayed. I found a few possible reasons:
Waiting for the time scheduler (normal delay, depends on system parameter timing).
No free background processes available. Checked SM37C “Active” tab to see what else was running.
Scheduler couldn’t run because dialog processes were tied up (like heavy RFC calls).
Operation modes misconfigured—like only allowing Class A jobs on an instance, blocking B or C.
Target server down or invalid server group entries.
Scheduler deactivated in SM61.
Missing or inconsistent table entries (TBTCS, BTCEVTJOB). SM65 helps spot those.
Start dates mismatched between tables (TBTCO vs TBTCS).
Ready → A job shouldn’t sit in “Ready” for more than a few seconds. If it does, something went wrong with sending the start message or the batch process couldn’t connect to the DB. Again, SM21 logs are the place to check.
Active → No issue here, it’s running.
Complete → Done, nothing to worry about.
Terminated → This means it failed during runtime. The job log usually explains why.
✅ What Helped Me
The main trick was not to assume all “stuck” jobs are the same. Looking at the status first gave me a roadmap for what to check. For example, if it’s “Scheduled,” I know it’s missing a start condition. If it’s “Released,” I start looking at resources, schedulers, and server groups.
📌 Lesson Learned
Jobs can fail to start for lots of reasons, but the status tells you where to look. As a junior consultant, I realized it’s less about memorizing every possible cause and more about knowing which transaction (SM37, SM21, SM61, SM65) gives the right clue. Once you follow that trail, the fix usually shows itself.
1 comment:
It is much better idea to keep or hire with the staffing company for an organisation or company those who feel difficulty for hiring the best and appropriate employee for their positions. Thank you and please keep update like this.
Hr Consultancy in Chennai
Post a Comment