INTERFACE FLAPPING
I was working on a branch router that kept dropping its uplink every few minutes. Users were complaining about VPN sessions cutting out and internet being slow. At first glance, the config looked fine and the interface was up. But the logs told another story: the link was flapping.
🔍 What I Saw
show interfaces GigabitEthernet0/0→ lots of line protocol down/up messages.show logging→ repeated%LINK-3-UPDOWNevents.show controllers→ CRC errors and late collisions showing up.
That’s when I started thinking it might be a duplex mismatch between the router and the switch.
✅ What Fixed It
Checked the switch port → it was set to auto-negotiation.
On the router, I forced speed and duplex:
Codeinterface GigabitEthernet0/0 speed 100 duplex fullMatched the same settings on the switch side (speed 100, duplex full).
Monitored again with:
Codeshow interfaces GigabitEthernet0/0 | include line protocol
After that, no more flapping. CRC errors dropped to zero, and users said the connection was stable again.
📌 Lesson Learned
This one was sneaky—it wasn’t a hard failure, just constant small drops that added up to bad performance. Easy to miss if you only look at configs. Always worth checking both ends of a link when you see flapping or CRC errors.
No comments:
Post a Comment