SAP KERNEL 7.20
Symptom
I wanted to run the SAP 7.20 EXT kernel in my system landscape as an alternative to the standard 7.20 kernel. The EXT kernel is designed to be downward compatible and offers extended support options.
Reason & Prerequisites
From my experience, the EXT kernel is supported across all NetWeaver releases that already support the 7.20 kernel, including:
SAP NetWeaver 7.0 (and EhP1, EhP2, EhP3)
SAP NetWeaver 7.1 (and EhP1, CE 7.1, EhP1 for CE)
SAP NetWeaver 7.2
SAP NetWeaver 7.3 (and EhP1)
For general background, SAP Note 1553300 provides the foundation, while Notes 1629598 and 1636252 explain downward compatibility in detail.
Key Considerations Before Implementation
The EXT kernel is only available in 64‑bit.
You may need to upgrade your operating system or database release. Always check the Product Availability Matrix (PAM) to confirm compatibility.
If you’re installing a new system or performing a system copy on NetWeaver 7.0 or higher, use Software Provisioning Manager (SWPM), which supports EXT kernel deployment (see Note 1680045).
Implementation Steps I Followed
Replace kernels on all application servers in the affected system.
Exchange the Internet Graphics Server (IGS) with the SAP IGS 7.20 EXT version.
After updating, I confirmed that SAP GUI did not require an update — it worked seamlessly with the EXT kernel.
Since the EXT kernel is a binary‑only release, I didn’t need to upgrade the SAP system itself.
Post‑installation, I continued importing support packages for the SAP release as usual.
For kernel corrections, I only applied 7.20 EXT patches — mixing with standard 7.20 patches is not supported.
Advantages I Observed
Extended support lifecycle compared to the standard kernel.
Ability to run newer kernel features without a full system upgrade.
Simplified maintenance since the EXT kernel is downward compatible.
Lessons Learned
Plan OS/DB upgrades early: PAM checks are essential before rollout.
Consistency across servers: All application servers must be updated together to avoid mismatches.
IGS replacement is mandatory: Skipping this step can cause rendering issues.
Transport discipline: Even though the kernel is binary‑only, repository objects still rely on regular support package imports.
Microsoft Windows
When I deployed the 7.20 EXT kernel on Windows, I learned that it requires a specific C runtime. Fortunately, this runtime is bundled inside the SAPEXE.SAR archive. SAP Note 1553465 explains how to apply it, and I always made sure to install it before starting the kernel exchange.
AIX
On AIX systems, I had to check the minimum OS release and C/C++ runtime requirements. SAP Note 1780629 was my reference here. Without meeting these prerequisites, the kernel wouldn’t start properly.
IBM i
Interestingly, IBM i required no special activities. The EXT kernel worked out of the box.
Linux
Before installing the EXT kernel on Linux, I reviewed SAP Note 1563102. This note outlines the OS and runtime requirements. Skipping this step can cause runtime errors during startup.
Oracle Database
On IBM Power Linux and Linux IA64 (Itanium), only Oracle 10g is supported. No changes to the database client were needed.
On all other platforms, I had to ensure:
The database server was running Oracle 11.2.0.2 or higher.
The latest SAP Bundle Patch was applied.
The Oracle 11g Instant Client was installed on all application servers and the DB server (SAP Note 1431794).
After installation, I carefully updated the library path (
LIBPATH,SHLIB_PATH,LD_LIBRARY_PATH) for<sid>admto remove references to the old Oracle 10g client.
Other Platforms
For other platforms, I relied on the Product Availability Matrix (PAM) to confirm compatibility.
My Steps for Manual Kernel Exchange
Preparation
Stop the SAP system (no need to stop the database).
Terminate SAProuter if running.
Download the latest EXT kernel stack (SAPEXE.SAR, SAPEXEDB.SAR) and IGS archives (IGSEXE.SAR, IGSHELPER.SAR).
If using Oracle, also download DBATOOLS.SAR.
Save the old kernel by creating a tar archive of the kernel directory.
Deployment on UNIX/Linux
Log in as
<SID>admon the first installation host.Copy the archives to a temporary directory (e.g.,
/tmp).Navigate to the kernel directory:
/usr/sap/<SAPSID>/SYS/exe/run(NetWeaver 7.0 EhP2)/usr/sap/<SAPSID>/SYS/exe/<codepage>/<platform>(NetWeaver 7.30)
Change ownership of files to
<SID>admusingchown.Use SAPCAR to unpack the archives:
bashSAPCAR -xvf SAPEXE.SAR SAPCAR -xvf SAPEXEDB.SAR SAPCAR -xvf DBATOOLS.SAR # if Oracle SAPCAR -xvf IGSEXE.SAR SAPCAR -xvf IGSHELPER.SARRun the saproot.sh script in the kernel directory as root.
Lessons Learned
Always back up the old kernel before deploying EXT.
Check PAM and OS/DB notes carefully — missing prerequisites cause startup failures.
Consistency across servers is critical: update all application servers together.
Library paths matter: forgetting to clean up old Oracle client references can break the system.
IGS replacement is mandatory: skipping it leads to rendering issues in applications.
Additional Deployment of IGSHELPER
One lesson I learned is that the IGSHELPER.SAR archive must be deployed not only in the installation directory but also in the instance directory of the primary application server and every additional application server.
Steps I followed:
Log in as
<SID>adm.Copy
IGSHELPER.SARto a temporary directory (e.g.,/tmporc:\temp).Switch to the instance directory:
/usr/sap/<SAPSID>/DVEBMGS→ primary instance/usr/sap/<SAPSID>/D<No>→ additional instances
Unpack using SAPCAR:
bash./exe/SAPCAR -xvf <TEMPDIR>/IGSHELPER.SAR
Windows Deployment
On Windows, the process was slightly different:
Copy all archives (
SAPEXE.SAR,SAPEXEDB.SAR,IGSEXE.SAR,IGSHELPER.SAR, andDBATOOLS.SARfor Oracle) to a staging directory.Determine the DIR_CT_RUN profile parameter (SAP Note 997848).
Log in as
<SID>adm, opencmd.exeas administrator, and set the working directory toDIR_CT_RUN.Place
sapcar.exein the parent directory ofDIR_CT_RUN.Backup old kernel executables using copy, not rename (SAP Note 142100).
Unpack archives in sequence:
cmd..\sapcar.exe -xvf <TEMPDIR>\SAPEXE.SAR ..\sapcar.exe -xvf <TEMPDIR>\SAPEXEDB.SAR ..\sapcar.exe -xvf <TEMPDIR>\DBATOOLS.SAR (Oracle only) ..\sapcar.exe -xvf <TEMPDIR>\IGSEXE.SAR ..\sapcar.exe -xvf <TEMPDIR>\IGSHELPER.SARInstall the C runtime library (
vcredist_<platform>.msi) on each node before starting the system.For MSCS clusters, update files in
Windows\SAPCLUSTERacross all nodes.
IBM i Deployment
On IBM i, the process was streamlined:
Log in as
<SID>adm.Copy archives (
SAPEXE.SAR,SAPEXEDB.SAR,IGSEXE.SAR,IGSHELPER.SAR) to/tmp.Run the APYSIDKRN command:
CodeAPYSIDKRN SID(<SAPSID>) ARCHIVES('<TEMPDIR>/SAPEXE.SAR' '<TEMPDIR>/SAPEXEDB.SAR' '<TEMPDIR>/IGSEXE.SAR' '<TEMPDIR>/IGSHELPER.SAR') MODE(*FULLY) CARPATH(*BUILTIN)
SAPCRYPTOLIB
If using SAPCRYPTOLIB, I reinstalled it according to SAP Note 510007. The procedure is documented in the SAP Help Portal for both ABAP and Java stacks.
Java‑Only Stack
For Java‑only systems, I followed SAP Knowledge Base Article 1505299. The key was selecting the correct EXT kernel archives (DB/OS combination, 64‑bit, Unicode) and replacing IGS archives as described for ABAP/dual stack systems.
Applying the EXT Kernel During Upgrades & Updates
SP Stack Definition
When defining the Support Package Stack (SP Stack) in the SAP Maintenance Optimizer (MOPZ) or on the SAP Service Marketplace, I always selected the 7.20 EXT kernel instead of the standard kernel. For IGS, I chose SAP IGS 7.20 EXT.
This ensured the correct archives were automatically added to the download basket. The rest of the upgrade/update procedure remained unchanged.
Applying the EXT Kernel Within SP Stacks
Before installation, I confirmed OS and DB prerequisites. During stack definition, I selected the correct EXT kernel (64‑bit, Unicode/Non‑Unicode, DB/OS specific). This streamlined the update process since the right archives were automatically included.
Updating SAP NetWeaver CE with Update Management Service
For SAP NetWeaver CE, I used the Update Management Service (UMS). Two methods were available:
Locally downloaded SP stack → supported for upgrades, updates, and lifecycle operations if already using EXT kernel.
SMP Automatic Update → automated update from SAP Service Marketplace.
In both cases, I selected the EXT kernel and IGS 7.20 EXT during stack definition.
Lessons Learned
Deploy IGSHELPER everywhere: both installation and instance directories.
Windows requires careful path handling: avoid blanks unless wrapped in quotes.
Backup old kernels properly: always copy, never rename.
Cluster environments need extra care: update all nodes consistently.
SP stack definition is critical: selecting EXT kernel ensures smooth upgrades.
No comments:
Post a Comment